POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Poser 5 : Re: Poser 5 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poser 5
From: Mike Williams
Date: 10 Jan 2004 02:51:14
Message: <Uk4NlDAd46$$Ewd$@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Dan P who wrote:
>Has anyone determined if they can convert/import Poser 5 models to PovRay?
>If so, are there limitations? I've been doing a lot of Google searches and
>have only found references to Poser X <= 4. Money is tight for the Danster
>and I only want to invest in Poser 5 if I'm sure I can cleanly put my models
>in PovRAY.

The techniques for Poser 4 work for Poser 5 except for the handling of
strand based hair.

P5 strand based hair is saved as guide strands, not a polygon mesh. I'm
not aware of any method of converting this data into anything that can
be correctly rendered in anything else.

If there were to be something that would correctly convert strand based
hair to POV format it would have to use the guide hair information to
generate the *actual* hairs. It would probably also have to work from
actual Poser data files, because most of the export formats don't
support all the information required to rebuild the hair correctly. E.g.
in OBJ format there doesn't appear to be any information about how many
actual hairs to generate per guide strand nor any information about how
the radius of the strand changes along the length of the hair.

In practice, very few P5 users end up using strand based hair to any
great extent. It's an absolute pain to get it to look anything like
reasonable, and it renders slowly in P5 itself. If you look at any forum
where Poser 5 images are posted you'll see very few that use strand
based hair.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure